“When you talk about pollution of the waterways, that goes very much to industries, like fossil fuels of course, like factory farming, like businesses or corporations that are allowed to just dump their waste or by-product of making things, manufacturing, into the waterways, when there’s no regulation, then clearly, then people can just do what they want to without any consequences.”
Flint, Michigan’s water contamination crisis is more common than we realize in communities of color and low-income communities. Often it’s due to industrial polluters dumping waste and toxins into the waterways.
One organization has been holding polluters accountable for decades — the Waterkeepers Alliance — and now they have a new leader who brings starpower as well as commitment to advocacy and justice. Gloria Reuben, actress and environmental activist is their new President.
Listen to Gloria explain their impact in this engaging conversation with Green Connections Radio host Joan Michelson, commemorating Black history Month.
- What polluters have been trying to get away with for years.
- Why communities of color are targets of polluters.
- What Waterkeepers does to hold polluters accountable
- how she juggles her acting/singing career with leading Waterkeepers
- Fascinating career advice for women who juggle careers.
- And more!
“Stay open to possibilities that might surprise you and take a risk in a positive way…Nothing ventured, nothing gained..(and) Self-care, self-care, self-care.” Gloria Reuben on Green Connections Radio podcast
Read Joan’s Forbes article about Gloria Reuben and water justice too.
You’ll also like:
- Lee-Anne Walters, Flint, Michigan community organizer and whistleblower on their water crisis.
- Talia Buford, ProPublica reporter who covered Flint, MI water crisis.
- Ashley Bell, actress & activist on her documentary about Asian elephants
- Marcia Chatelain, Georgetown U professor, on black women suffragists
Thanks for subscribing on Apple Podcasts or iHeartRadio and leaving us a review!
Also, join our Facebook Page and share your insights!
Join our mailing list to stay up to date on the top podcasts and special offers!
Follow us on Twitter @joanmichelson