Can Indoor Farming Save Our Food Supply From Climate Change?
Jackie Roberts, Appharvest, Chief Sustainability Officer
“A.I has enabled us to get very precise measures and give the plants precisely what the plans need…(So) The yields in our greenhouses are about 30x the traditional farm.” and without any chemicals. Jackie Roberts on Green Connections Radio podcast
What if we could grow produce in a way that was not at the mercy of weather swings or events? A new massive indoor farm called Appharvest thinks they have found a way.
Listen to Jackie Roberts, Chief Sustainability Officer of Appharvest describe how their massive 60-acre indoor farm is climate resilient and innovative – and produces yummy produce – in this engaging conversation with Green Connections Radio host Joan Michelson. Jackie was also awarded the White House Presidential Environment and Conservation Challenge Award.
- How A.I. and micro-sensors enable them to target nutrients and water to exactly what plants need and w
- Why their crops are non-GMO (genetically modified) – and when GMO is a good thing.
- How precision agriculture is a gift to sustainability.
- How their farm is climate resilient, even in hurricane and tornado prone Appalachia, and prepared for very high wind sheer.
- ..valuable career advice for women in any career and at any level from her varied career, including previously at the Environmental Defense Fund working with multinationals, and at influential private equity firm The Carlyle Group, and now at Appharvet.
“I really appreciate that in each role, I’ve learned something new…(always) working with integrating sustainability into all functions and financial systems. ” Jackie Roberts on Green Connections Radio podcast
You’ll also like:
- Cindi Bigelow, CEO, Bigelow Tea, on converting a 75-year old tea company to combat climate change.
- Gabrielle Rubenstein, Managing Partner and Founder, Manna Tree Partners, investors in food companies making our food supply more transparent and healthier.
- Robin Currey, Professor of Sustainable Food Systems at Prescott College.
- Amy Bachman, DC Central Kitchen on food security and reducing food waste.
- Haley Lowry, Dow Chemical’s Sustainability Director on reducing the carbon footprint of food packaging.
Thanks for subscribing on Apple Podcasts or iHeartRadio and leaving us a review!
Join our mailing list to stay up to date on the top podcasts, articles, presentations and special offers!
Follow us on Twitter @joanmichelson
Also, join our Facebook Page and share your insights!