“What can companies who have pledged to source 100% of their energy from clean energy sources do to help coal country?”
Coal country is an endangered species, between new technologies and the shift to a clean energy economy. So, how do you pivot entire communities and industries for a 21st century economy?
Listen to Heidi Binko, Executive Director and Co-Founder of the Just Transition Fund talk about her unique program that’s tackling this challenge in this enlightening conversation with host Joan Michelson. There are lessons for all of us in finding creative solutions, partnering, and stretching ourselves to learn new skills and see new perspectives.
You’ll hear about:
- The $1 million their Fund is receiving from Google and how it will be used.
- The responsibility of major companies who are pivoting their operations to 100% renewable sources to support the people hurt by that transition.
- Reconfiguring a community’s assets to serve new economic realities and goals, including new technologies and infrastructure needs.
- Retraining an industry while respecting and developing the unique skills, values and talents of each person in it.
- Tips for successful grant-writing from a master.
“Be very, very clear about your goals… and what your intended outcomes are, and think long and hard about how you’re going to measure success.” Heidi Binko
You’ll probably also want to listen to Joan’s interviews with:
- Nicole Steele of Grid Alternatives on training programs for the solar industry
- Ann Randazzo, of the Center for Energy Workforce Development, on training for the new utility sector.
- Katherine Burgess, of the Urban Land Institute, on building resilient communities.
- Nicole Ferrini, Community and Resilience Officer for the City of El Paso Texas on how they’re doing it.
All of these and many more are available on Apple Podcasts or iHeartRadio, Spotify or other podcast networks.
Subscribe to our podcasts to receive them right away and to our newsletter to be ahead of the curve.