Women triumphed in part “by bringing in elites, both society and social women and men of position, power and influence, and many of them were publishers, editors…and had direct access to the levers of media.” Brooke Kroeger on Electric Ladies Podcast (then known as Green Connections Radio)
As we embark on a crucial presidential election this year, women voters are the largest single voting bloc, but, that right was a hard-fought battle until passage of the 19th Amendment in 1920.
To commemorate it this Women’s History Month, listen to my fascinating interview with one of the foremost chroniclers of the suffrage movement, Brooke Kroeger, including lessons for today.
She is an NYU journalism professor, author of several books, including “The Suffragents: How Women Used Men To Get The Vote,” creator of SuffrageandtheMedia.org, and a former top journalist. Including lessons for women today.
- How women built alliances with men in positions of power and influence.
- How women leveraged the media to drive public opinion and pressure lawmakers.
- Why women’s roles in war-time were so important to securing women’s rights more broadly. Lessons for women today from the fight for women’s suffrage. And great career advice too!
Read Joan’s Forbes blog about her interview with Brooke too.
There are many lessons for today’s efforts for women’s equality in the success of the suffrage movement, including, how women can leverage the assets and relationships within their reach, Brooke Kroeger said.
You may also like:
- Lori Harrison-Kahan, author, “The Superwoman” on suffrage journalist Miriam Michelson and how she helped win women the vote.
- Commemorating the 19th Amendment Centennial – video and podcast of event at the Newseum.
- Telle Whitney, Former CEO of Anita Borg Institute for Women in Tech and top diversity expert.
- Wanda Lloyd, former senior editor of USA Today and local newspapers, author of “Coming Full Circle: From Jim Crow to Journalism.”
Thanks for subscribing on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen to podcasts and leaving us a review!
Also, join our Facebook Page and share your insights!
Join our mailing list to stay up to date on the top podcasts and special coaching offers!
Follow us @joanmichelson