Women did not have the right to vote when the U.S. was founded; that’s a fact many still do not know.
Listen to the group of prominent women journalists and an historian talk about the women journalists behind the scenes using their stories, influence and access to help the 19th Amendment, which acknowledged women have the right to vote, ratified 101 years ago.
Panelists include: Anna Palmer, then of Politico and now Founder of Punchbowl Media, Shawna Thomas then managing editor of Vice News Tonight and now Executive Producer of CBS This Morning. and Lori Harrison-Kahan, author of “The Superwoman and Other Writings by Miriam Michelson”
This was an event GCR host Joan Michelson produced and moderated at The Newseum to commemorate the centennial of the 19th Amendment. It was recorded prior to the 2020 election.
Maybe you’ll get tips for supporting today’s voting rights battles.
- Clever ways women journalists and editors used their stories and voices to drive women’s voting rights.
- The role of Joan’s great-great aunt and journalist, Miriam Michelson, in ratification of the 19th Amendment.
- Fascinating stories of women’s journalists on the front line of women’s voting rights.
- The diverse levers it took to get the Amendment across the finish line. Great questions from the audience!
Thank you to the Newseum for being fabulous hosts and to Politico’s Women Rule initiative for supporting us!
Watch the video replay here and read more stories about Miriam Michelson and other unsung heroes of the 19th Amendment fight.
You’ll also want to listen to:
- Newseum event on Suffrage Movement, Lori Harrison-Kahan on the role of women journalists in the suffrage cause and how the #MeToo movement began in suffrage.
- Brooke Kroeger, Author of “The Suffragents” on the male supporters of women’s vote (Is Joe Biden a “Suffragent” for choosing Senator Kamala Harris as his VP).
- Marcia Chatelain, Professor of American History, African American History, Georgetown University.
- Jennifer Palmieri, Former Communications Director for Hillary Clinton’s 2016 campaign and President Obama, and author of “Dear Madam President.”.
Thank you for subscribing to Green Connections on Apple Podcasts or iHeartRadio and leaving us a review!
Also, join our Private Facebook Group and share your insights!
Join our mailing list to stay up to date on the top podcasts!
Reach us on Twitter @joanmichelson