“100% of the materials used in our back to school (mask-making) kits were …from deadstock (discarded) materials…to provide a sustainable mask alternative for kids in need to that they ….can keep their communities safe.”
As we all adapt to the temporary normal of having to wear a mask to protect ourselves and others from the Covid-19 pandemic, Jennifer Lee came up with a creative eco-friendly way to make mask-wearing fun for kids and give masks to people of all ages in need. Building this nonprofit is Jennifer’s side hustle; her day job is as a global technology manager in cosmetic giant L’Oréal’s incubator. .
Listen to Jennifer describe to Green Connections Radio host Joan Michelson how she came up with the idea for United We Mask, who else is on board (including Fabscrap, a previous guest on this show), and how L’Oréal is responding.
- How she developed the idea for the mask-making kits and made it happen.
- What’s in them and how she’s making them eco-friendly.
- About their mask-making DIY workshops
- How she hopes the kids influence the adults in their lives to wear a mask.
- And….valuable career advice from this woman who used her education in biostatics and computational biology to land a great job at L’Oréal.
“Decide how you want to make a difference and talk to people in that specialty and ask them what they need.” Jennifer (JJ) Lee on Green Connections Radio
Read Joan’s Forbes piece on Jennifer’s initiative here.
Other interviews you may like:
- Jessica Shreiber, Founder/CEO of Fabscrap, which is partnering with United We Mask
- Karla Macgruder, Founder/CEO of Fabrikology, sustainable fashion consultant to companies
- Stephanie Benedetto, Founder/.CEO of Queen of Raw, marketplace for leftover raw materials from the fashion industry
- Amina Razvi, Vice President of Membership at Sustainable Apparel Coalition
- Annie Gullingsrud, Director, Sustainable Apparel at Cradle to Cradle Innovation Institute
Thanks for subscribing on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen to podcasts and leaving us a review!
Also, join our Facebook Page and share your insights!
Join our mailing list to stay up to date on the top podcasts and special coaching offers!
Follow/DM us @joanmichelson