“Brand citizenship is a way of doing business – from a company’s core purpose; to its delivery of goods and services; to its responsibility to its employees, community, the environment and the world – that people trust, believe in and rely on…all with the aim of earning profits that are maintainable over the long term.” Anne Bahr Thompson
Leaders, organizations and workplaces are preparing for a post-covid world, figuring out which new ways of doing business will remain. As I wrote about in Forbes recently, these profound shifts are ushering in the Era of ESG – the investing term for a focus on environment, social and governance issues – when these issues are taking center stage financially as well as strategically.
In my piece, I quoted branding expert and author Anne Bahr Thompson from my interview with her.
Listen anew to our interview first broadcast in the beginning of covid’s dominance this year. We talked about steps companies and leaders should take – and not take – in this unprecedented crisis.
- How to be compassionate and a good corporate citizen at this time, from how you can help, to how you treat your employees, to ads you run (or don’t).
- The five stages of Brand Citizenship® and how to do them (trust, enrichment, contribution, etc.). Why planning and understanding what your relationship is with your customers are both crucial.
- What “fitness stretches for your brand” are and why they matter.
- Plus great career advice!
“We each come into the world with gifts. And, how do we apply those gifts and have them intersect with the things we’re good at and the things we’re interested in so that we can contribute.” Anne Bahr Thompson
Read my Forbes blogs about Welcome to the Era of ESG, and about how brands can adapt or reinvent their messaging to respond to such crises.
Which brands do think are doing well and why? Tweet them to us @joanmichelson or post them on our Facebook Page — and ask to join our private Facebook group.
You’ll also want to listen to:
- Anne Bahr Thompson, on her book about what Brand Citizenship is and the steps to take to brand for purpose and profit.
- Deborah Lee James, former Secretary of the Air Force, on leading in a crisis.
- Jennifer “JJ” Lee, United We Mask, on making masks from recycled fabric, including for people in need
- Rachel Hutchisson, Blackbaud on building an “ecosystem of good.” (recorded pre-covid).
- Julie Fox Gorte, of PaxWorld Investments, on ESG investing, embracing environment, social and governance values (recorded pre-covd).
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive our podcasts, blog, events and special coaching offers..
Thanks for subscribing on Apple Podcasts or iHeartRadio and leaving us a review!
Follow us on Twitter @joanmichelson