“Any concrete new mixture, whether it’s embodied carbon or flyash or any other innovation in making concrete more sustainable one way or the other in terms of the material itself, those are all tested through a rigorous standardized process.” Elizabeth Thompson, USGBC
As our hearts go out to the people in Surfside, Florida coping with the loss of their loved ones and friends in the catastrophic building collapse, this tragedy raises some hard questions that the “green” building community needs to answer.
First among them is: Do sustainable building technologies and materials affect the structural integrity of their buildings? How are they tested to be sure?
Listen to architect Elizabeth Thompson, Vice President of the US Green Building Council – which developed the iconic LEED certification protocols that are gold standard for sustainable buildings – in this enlightening and engaging interview on with host Joan Michelson.
Elizabeth brings her 20+ years of experience as an architect, including in sustainable buildings, and provides helpful insights.
- How new building technologies and materials are tested for durability and safety.
- How the iconic LEED certifications are developed by teams of industry experts.
- What role the local climate plays in determining the building code standards.
- The importance of holistic preventative maintenance plans and how to develop and implement them effectively. Plus great career advice!
“I have found it very helpful to keep following the trail of my curiosity. So, if I’m really interested in something, find a way to make the space for following that in my life. Reading books, having conversations, all of that.” Elizabeth Thompson
You’ll also want to listen to:
- Rawlings Miller of WSP on developing a climate resilience plan for your community or business.
- Kathy Baughman McLeod of the new Atlantic Council Resilience Center, on climate resilience preparation.
- Beth Gibbons, Executive Director of American Society of Adaptation Professionals (ASAP).
- Robin Currey, Prescott College, on creating a sustainable food supply.
Listen to more great interviews with innovators at electricladiespodcast.com – or on Apple Podcasts, iHeartRadio, Spotify or other podcast networks, and subscribe.
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive our podcasts, blog, events and special coaching offers..
Follow us on Twitter @joanmichelson