“(G)ratitude raises our level of energy and there are things to be grateful for even when everything’s falling apart around us…(and) when you focus on helping others too, it kind of gets your mind off of yourself…and better ideas come to you.” Emily Harman on Electric Ladies Podcast
With the war raging in Ukraine, many of us are very stressed, maybe feeling helpless to stop the suffering, angry, and sad. How can we cope when things feel overwhelming?
Listen to Emily Harman, a retired Navy Officer now a coach, who has seen her share of trauma and now coaches people to get through it and hosts a podcast on doing so.
Originally recorded to help people coping with great loss in a natural disaster, as those become more common, insights in Emily’s conversation with Electric Ladies podcast host Joan Michelson are timely to help us cope with watching the war in Ukraine.
- How taking small steps and being grateful are critical to getting through stress and trauma (and every day).
- Why being vulnerable and honest about your feelings is critical to healing.
- How people ask for help who never needed it before – and find new resources.
- How becoming an activist is healing and can also help you get new ideas.
- Plus, great career advice….
“As you’re trying to get ahead, know what ‘get ahead’ means for you and why you want to get ahead. And two…know who you’re being while you’re doing that. ‘Cause…hyper achievers can tend to, um, make it tough on relationships.” Emily Harman on Electric Ladies Podcast
Read Joan’s Forbes article here.
You’ll also want to listen to (some of these are under the name Green Connections Radio):
- Michele Wucker, thought leaders and author of “You Are What You Risk: The New Art & Science to Navigating an Uncertain World.”
- Sandrine Dixson, Co-president of the Club of Rome (global leaders) and Ambassador to the Climate
- Angela Duckworth, Author of “Grit” on how passion and perseverance are more valuable than talent, whose TED Talk has been viewed over 21 million times.
- Jill Wine-Banks, Former Watergate Prosecutor, General Counsel, U.S. Army and Fortune 500 executive, Author, “The Watergate Girl”
- Telle Whitney, Former CEO of Anita Borg Institute for Women and Cofounder of the Grace Hopper Conference
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive our podcasts, blog, events and special coaching offers..
Thanks for subscribing on Apple Podcasts or iHeartRadio and leaving us a review!
Follow us on Twitter @joanmichelson and @electricgalspod