One- hundred years ago on August 26, 1920, the 19th Amendment, which confirmed women have the right to vote, officially became part of the U.S. Constitution.
But not black women, despite many black women suffragists fighting just as hard as white women for the rights of all women to vote.
Black women suffragists were quite strategic though, as you’ll hear as you.
Listen to professor Marcia Chatelain, professor of history and African American Studies at Georgetown University. Dr. Chatelain also has a fascinating take on the impact of Senator Kamala Harris as the Democratic Vice Presidential Nominee.
- How black women managed the racial tensions within the suffrage movement.
- Stories of remarkable black women suffragists who played a critical role in successful passage of the Amendment.
- Strategies the black women suffragists employed to make sure their voices were heard.
- Her surprising take on the impact of Kamala Harris as the Democratic VP Nominee.
- Plus, insightful career advice!
Also read Joan’s Forbes blog on Marcia’s insights here, and for more on the suffrage movement, including Joan’s sold-out even at the Newseum.
You’ll also want to listen to:
- Newseum event on Women’s Suffrage Movement – with Lori Harrison-Kahan, Anna Palmer of Politico and Shawna Thomas of Vice News, now at CBS News
- Lori Harrison-Kahan on the role of women journalists in the movement to ratify that women have the right to vote and how the #MeToo movement began in this movement.
- Brooke Kroeger, Author of “The Suffragents” on the male supporters of women’s vote (Is Joe Biden a “Suffragent” for choosing Senator Kamala Harris as his VP)
- Jennifer Palmieri, Former Communications Director for Hillary Clinton’s 2016 campaign and President Obama, and author of “Dear Madam President.”
Thank you for subscribing to Green Connections on Apple Podcasts or iHeartRadio and leaving us a review!
Also, join our Private Facebook Group and share your insights!
Join our mailing list to stay up to date on the top podcasts!
Follow us on Twitter @joanmichelson