“To me, creativity is the ability to connect, in often unexpected ways, observations or experiences or skills from completely different realms.” Ingrid Daubechies on Electric Ladies podcast
The next time you send a photo to someone from your smartphone, and it asks you for which size to send, you’ll think about that decision differently after listening to host Joan Michelson’s truly fascinating and inspiring conversation with Dr. Ingrid Daubechies of Duke University. Why? (This was recorded under our previous name, Green Connections Radio.)
Because she’s the person who developed the theory that explains the difference between those sizes – wavelet theory – and has won numerous awards for doing so, including the renowned MacArthur “genius” award.
- Tips for coming up with fresh ideas.
- How to collaborate and build trust among a diverse group of people.
- How wavelet theory works and explains what happens when files are reduced (or “compressed”).
- How she excelled despite being the rare women at the top of her field.
- Career advice she gives her own students and mentees – and what you can do with a math degree.
“Find roles in one’s organization where you feel interested, feel you can contribute, and then do that with enthusiasm. At least that’s what has worked for me.” Ingrid Daubechies on Green Connections Radio
Read my Forbes blog about her too here.
You’ll also want to listen to:
- Maria Freire, CEO of the Foundation for the National Institutes of Health (NIH), on creative business models for innovation.
- Ellen Williams, Former Director of ARPA-E, the prestigious innovation arm of the Dept. of Energy, on energy innovation.
- Alfia Ilecheva & Maria Potoroczyn, Cofounders of Women in Innovation, on strategic innovation and how women do it differently.
- Ellen Stofan, Head of the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum, former Chief Scientist for NASA, on driving innovation.
Thanks for subscribing on iTunes or iHeartRadio and leaving us a review!
Also, join our Facebook Page and share your insights!
Join our mailing list to stay up to date on the top podcasts and special offers!
Follow us on Twitter @joanmichelson