As COVID-19 spreads across the world and every country is aching for treatments and vaccines to stop it, listen to Joan’s conversation with a remarkable innovator tackling some of the toughest medical challenges.
Dr. Maria Freire is President of the Foundation of the National Institutes of Health (FNIH) and she developed a unique structure for expediting medical innovations. What can we learn from her? This interview was conducted before the coronavirus pandemic but Dr. Freire’s methodology is relevant to address it.
You’ll hear about:
- The key role of artificial intelligence and robotics, as well as the human genome, that Freire says makes this “one of the best times for science” and public health.
- How their research focuses on “the inflection point” in the research that will lead to the greatest scientific breakthrough the quickest.
- How the FNIH’s unique business model drives innovation for public health challenges faster, with more new ideas, voices.
- How biomarkers tell stories and could tell us about the impact of environmental issues on our health.
- The importance of having “the right people in the room…(including) “the voice of the patient,” regulators, the private sector who can bring it to patients, and “intellectual disruptors.”
- Plus great career advice, such as, “You need to learn to wield your power, the power you give yourselves” and to do so “with gravitas,” Dr. Freire says.
What did Dr. Freire say that resonated with YOU? Tweet us @joanmichelson or post it on our Facebook Page — and ask to join our private Facebook group.
You’ll also like:
- Beth Colleton, Former CSO for NBCUniversal and the NFL on driving social innovation in a large organization.
- Telle Whitney, Former CEO of Anita Borg Institute for Women and Cofounder of the Grace Hopper Conference on women in STEM careers.
- Roberta Rincon, Society of Women Engineers, Director of Research, on the status and careers of women in various types of engineering roles.
- Barbara Whye, Chief Diversity Officer of Apple, and former VP of Human Resources and Chief Diversity Officer of Intel.
Listen to more great interviews with innovators at electricladiespodcast.com – or on Apple Podcasts, iHeartRadio, Spotify or other podcast networks.
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive our podcasts, blog, events and special coaching offers..
Thanks for subscribing on Apple Podcasts or iHeartRadio and leaving us a review!
Follow us on Twitter @joanmichelson