“You’ve got to walk the halls and really understand how they run the business, where their pressure points are and what they think their challenges are….walk in their shoes….It’s not what you’re selling, it’s what they’re buying.” Beth Colleton
Initiatives, Language, Metrics & Strategies to Drive Business Results Responsibly, Sustainability
“Purpose” is in style right now, but how do you “do” purpose successfully, driving measurable value creation in a large company or organization? How do you create and lead sustainability efforts that make a difference?
Listen to Beth Colleton, former SVP of Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainability at NBCUniversal (and formerly at the NFL) discuss the nuts and bolts of this work with Green Connections Radio host Joan Michelson.
- Why she says “purpose drives across every person and every part of the business in order to really be done effectively…to live in the DNA of the company” and how to do it.
- The first things to do in developing these initiatives, including “getting your organization rallied around it” and integrated into their day jobs — and how it’ll help recruit and retain employees.
- How to sell sustainability and purpose internally, using their language, metrics and values (“some of it demands some pretty adept translation services”).
- Why building a relationship with, and understanding, the finance people is critical.
- How to “turn ambiguity into strategy” to create opportunities, manage risk, and develop an impact “playbook” that’s responsive.
Plus, terrific career advice, such as: You have to have expertise in something, and understand what “value” is in the company and constantly measure against it, as well as CSR metrics.
You’ll also want to listen to:
- Michele Wucker, author of “You Are What You Risk: The New Art & Science of Navigating Risk in an Uncertain World.”
- Patsy Doerr, Global Head of Corporate Responsibility, Sustainability and Inclusion at Thomson Reuters.
- Billee Howard, CEO Brandthropologie & Centiment, using AI to drive profitable “purpose” strategies.
- Anne Bahr Thompson, Brand Citizenship® expert, author “Do Good: Embracing Brand Citizenship to Fuel both Purpose and Profit.”