“If you’re solving a problem in the world, if your business addresses climate change, for example, guess what? …Anyone who’s passionate about climate change would be a great potential investor for you. So (investors) are really all over the place. Mostly, it just takes a mindset shift.” Jenny Kassan on Electric Ladies Podcast
As the year comes to an end, you may be thinking you would like to raise money for your small business from investors, but you’re feeling overwhelmed or put off by what you’ve heard about the process. Well, listen to Jenny Kassan, CEO & Founder of her own firm, where she helps entrepreneurs – especially women and entrepreneurs in mission-focused businesses – find investors in “normal” people. How?
Listen to Jenny explain these trends and findings in this fascinating interview with Electric Ladies podcast host Joan Michelson.
You’ll learn (and want to take notes) about:
- Why you might need a “mindset shift” to be able to see the investors in your circle or network.
- How mission-focused businesses, like those combating climate change in some way, are more attractive to more “normal” investors today than ever before.
- How covid affected the ability of more people who don’t call themselves an “investor” to invest in small businesses.
- How to create a term sheet of what you’re going to offer that is customized to you, your business, and your desire for a win-win-win agreement – that’s good for the planet too.
- Plus, insightful career advice ….
“Don’t be afraid to go ahead and start your own business if it is something that you’re passionate about, but do learn that skill of raising money. I think that’s the biggest problem that happens when women do start their own businesses, that they started on a shoestring…A lot of businesses do need some upfront money to invest in things, to make sure it’s a healthy, successful business before you can really start to be profitable. So… be realistic about what it takes and learn that skill of raising money for your business.“ Jenny Kassan on the Electric Ladies podcast
Read Joan’s related Forbes articles here too.
You’ll also want to listen to:
- Michele Wucker, thought leaders and author of “You Are What You Risk: The New Art & Science to Navigating an Uncertain World.”
- Shelly Porges, Billion Dollar Fund for Women & Beyond the Billion, on raising money for women entrepreneurs.
- Heather Long, Leading economics reporter at The Washington Post, on the pandemic economy’s impact on women.
- Colleen Biggs, CEO/Founder of LeadUp for Women, and former top corporate executive.
- Kathleen McQuiggan, Artemis Advisors, on how women invest and successful ESG investing
- Angela Duckworth, Author of “Grit” on how passion and perseverance are more valuable than talent, whose TED Talk has been viewed over 21 million times.
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive our podcasts, blog, events and special coaching offers..
Thanks for subscribing on Apple Podcasts or iHeartRadio and leaving us a review!
Reach us on Twitter @joanmichelson