““At ON Power…combined we produce just under 20% of the energy produced in Iceland…. We are removing carbon from our operations….Plus, we have been operating a carbon removal station, since then, mineralizing and removing from the atmosphere just over 10,000 tons (of emissions) a year.” Berglind “Begga” Olafsdottir on Electric Ladies Podcast.”
In a recent whirlwind trip to Iceland, one of the fascinating companies Joan’s visit to that beautiful Arctic country is ON Power, which operates the largest geothermal plant in the country, which produces 20% of the total energy Iceland produces. It’s also removing the carbon emissions from its plants, and partnering with its sister company Carbfix to remove CO2 from the air. This is ground-breaking technology that can get us to 100% renewable energy, like it is doing for Iceland.
How? Listen to Berglind “Begga” Olafsdottir, ON Power CEO in this engaging conversation with Electric Ladies Podcast host Joan Michelson during her recent trip there, conducted live in Reykjavik.
- How ON Power captures the CO2 it emits and mineralizes it.
- About their business parks that only take tenants that can share products and byproducts of other tenants, creating a circular economy in each park.
- How ON Power is partnering with its sister company Carbfix and with Climeworks to bring ground-breaking technology to market that captures CO2 from the air. not just their own emissions.
- Why women play an important role in driving the innovations in Iceland’s renewable energy economy.
- Plus, great career advice….
“Women, we have a tendency of underestimating ourselves in general, and I think my advice would be that, if you’re mid- career and you want to take a step up in the corporate ladder…I think it’s important for women not to discount their experience and the knowledge. Try to be a bit bold. If you’re applying for something that is advertised, don’t not submit the application because you don’t check all the boxes, because people are also hired on potential….and you might be the right person.” Berglind “Begga” Olafsdottir on Electric Ladies Podcast
You’ll also like:
- Halla Hrund Logadottir, Director-General, Iceland’s National Energy Authority, on how the country has become 85% renewable energy.
- Birta Kristin Helgadottir, Director of Green By Iceland, on their unique business parks that are each circular economies.
- Michele Wucker, thought leaders and author of “You Are What You Risk: The New Art & Science to Navigating an Uncertain World.”
- Kathryn Pavlovsky, Deloitte Energy, Resources & Industrials, on the energy transformation and ESG
- Jennifer Gerbi, Ph.D., Deputy Director and Acting Director, ARPA-E, the innovation arm of the Department of Energy
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive our podcasts, blog, events and special coaching offers..
Thanks for subscribing on Apple Podcasts or iHeartRadio and leaving us a review!
Follow us on Twitter @joanmichelson