If You Want To Be A Successful Speaker, Listen Up
“It’s our responsibility when we take the stage to understand that we’re going to affect people, we’re going to make change….And if you pull back in any way, you are missing that opportunity to…change that one life.”
Being able to speak in public is crucial to career success in today’s world where the media is everywhere, cameras are everywhere, and you can end up on social media without knowing it. Being a public speaker who moves people in a positive way can be a powerful career advantage too. But how? And how do you land those coveted opportunities to command a TEDx stage?
Listen to Tricia Brouk, former long-time producer of TEDxLincolnSquare in New York City (who used to approve or reject speaker pitches) and who trains speakers to succeed today, in this remarkable interview with Green Connections Radio host Joan Michelson – and she shares career advice too.
- How to take the stage with confidence.
- How to build trust with your audience.
- How to identify what to talk about, including in pitching a TEDx Talk.
- Why practice, practice and more practice matters.
- Why you need to vet the organizers as much as they vet you.
- Great career advice, especially for creative people… and much more!
Read my Forbes blog on my interview with Tricia too.
You’ll want to check out these interviews too:
- Jennifer Wisdom, psychologist, author and speaker, on managing office politics.
- Mary Lee Gannon, CEO & Executive Coach, on building an executive career and executive presence.
- Jennifer Palmieri, former Communications Director for President Obama and Hillary Clinton, on women in leadership
- Joann Lublin, WSJ Management News Editor on success tips from top women CEOs
- Joan’s Forbes blog of speaker tips from Emceeing a corporate gala at Lincoln Center recently.
Thanks for subscribing on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen to podcasts and leaving us a review!
Also, join our Facebook Page and share your insights!
Join our mailing list to stay up to date on the top podcasts and special coaching offers!
Email or follow/DM us @joanmichelson