“The impact investing we focused on, and tried to bring tools and resources together for, really represents areas of investing where you’re looking for both a financial return and a social return through the investments that you make. So, it’s really that simple. It’s asking the question of, ‘is there some kind of social return that’s exceptional or different in this investment versus the normal investments I would make?’…I like to remind everyone that every investment has impact. The question is what impact does it have?”
Jean Case on Electric Ladies Podcast
Impact and ESG (environment, social, governance) investing are often confused, and yet today, especially as the Securities and Exchange Commission finalizes its climate risk disclosure rules, the investment community is paying a lot more attention to the impact of investment decisions on the environment and all stakeholders.
One of the people who has been at the forefront of using investment funding to make a positive impact is Jean Case, CEO of the Case Foundation, chair of the National Geographic Society board, author of the best-selling book, “Be Fearless,” and former SVP of AOL. Listen to Jean Case on Electric Ladies Podcast help us make sense of these strategies in this engaging interview with host Joan Michelson.
- How she and the Case Foundation see the differences in impact investing vs. ESG investing.
- How ESG investing is really about minimizing risk as well as maximizing return, and why climate risk is financial.
- What impact she thinks the SEC’s new climate risk disclosure rules will have.
- What the boards of directors of the future will do and how they will need to adapt structurally to a changing economy and marketplace
- Plus, insightful career advice, such as…
“Ladies, you need to own it….And by owning it, I mean, bring confidence that you’ve got what it takes. Own things that will make you a more profitable, build wealth for yourself, own that.…it’s hard for a lot of us to do the things that we think we naturally can’t be good at….(but) You can be trained, you can learn into almost anything. I see so many really capable, smart, awesome women and they just really need to own that.” Jean Case on Electric Ladies Podcast
Read Joan’s Forbes articles here too.
You’ll also like (some may have been recorded under our previous name, Green Connections Radio):
- Kristina Wyatt, Chief Sustainability Officer & Deputy General Counsel, Persefoni and former leader of the SEC task force developing the Climate Risk Disclosure rules.
- Julie Gorte, SVP, Sustainable Investing, IMPAX Asset Management on the SEC’s proposed climate rules
- Helle Bank Jorgenson, CEO of Competent Boards, on ESG and boards of directors.
- Natalie Jaresko, former Finance Minister of Ukraine, on the hidden power of ESG
- Michele Wucker, author of “You Are What You Risk: The New Art & Science to Navigating an Uncertain World.”
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive our podcasts, blog, events and special coaching offers..
Thanks for subscribing on Apple Podcasts or iHeartRadio and leaving us a review!
Follow us on Twitter @joanmichelson