“We asked the Forest Stewardship Council to go on the ground and do the whole certification process, just like they do for paper…Then they’re following that rubber throughout the chain of custody all the way through to the factory here in Georgia….and we have just produced the first FSC certified tire.” Maureen Kline on Electric Ladies Podcast
The transportation sector is transforming, from GM’s announcement that they are eliminating gas engines by 2030, to Ford’s announcement this week about going all EV, to the massive legislation moving through Congress now to rebuild our transportation infrastructure. All those vehicles still need tires, though, and rubber is still an environmental challenge. How to balance safety with environmental protection? Pirelli Tires thinks they have found a solution – and these new tires are “smart” as well as sustainable. How?
Listen to Maureen Kline, head of sustainability for Pirelli Tires explain it to host Joan Michelson on Electric Ladies podcast.
- How Pirelli is using outside sources like the Forest Stewardship Council to help them make sustainable tires in a credible and responsible way.
- What “smart tires” are, how they work, and how they keep passengers safer than “normal” tires do.
- How Maureen got Pirelli to include an option in the company’s 401K plan options to invest according to ESG criteria.
- Plus, insightful career advice ….
“I think what’s really important is to gain knowledge of sustainability and weave it into every career… Use all possible, learning opportunities, whether it’s online courses, listening to your podcast, reading, and just get your overall sustainability education in order. And then you can really start diving into how to make what you do, more sustainability focused.”
Maureen Kline on Electric Ladies podcast
You’ll also want to listen to:
- Jennifer Gerbi, Deputy Director and Acting Director, ARPA-E, Dept. of Energy
- Anne Kelly, Ceres, on the role of the business community in the clean energy transition
- Lisa Jacobson, Business Council for Sustainable Energy, on the impact of covid on energy and transitioning to a clean energy economy
- Margaret Lewis, New Flyer electric buses
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive our podcasts, blog, events and special coaching offers..
Thanks for subscribing on Apple Podcasts or iHeartRadio and leaving us a review!
Follow us on Twitter @joanmichelson