“Who’s my customer, who’s my partner?…Make sure you’re aligning with their ESG programs…Think of ESG as part of your operational DNA. Right. Just keep it as part of how you run your business and just make it more of an integrated component versus kind of the separate thing.”
Karen Alonardo on Electric Ladies Podcast
If you’re confused about how to capture environment, social and governance (ESG) data, and weighing different software systems, you’re not alone. It’s a burgeoning industry as investors, companies and consumers – and regulators, including the SEC – demand more disclosure.
For a good download on the nuts and bolts of ESG systems, listen to Karen Alonardo, VP of ESG at NAVEX at the time of this interview with Electric Ladies host Joan Michelson. Karen joined NAVEX when the company she founded and built, CSRware was acquired by NAVEX in 2020 (she has since left NAVEX).
- What ESG systems can – and can’t – measure and track.
- What accountants – or anyone verifying the ESG data – need to know to ensure the numbers are correct in the reports
- How to choose among the different ESG-related standards.
- Plus, insightful career advice.
And much more!
“(D)ifferent people are motivated by different things…. I had to take what I was good at, like what I already understood, and then I emerged it with something that I learned, something new…So maybe take a class or two in kind of the feel good areas that you like and see if something pops, you know, see if something aligns with your background, what you’ve done in the past, cuz you don’t want to negate the fact that you’ve got 15 years’ experience….So leverage your background….and make sure you can financially support yourself.“
Karen Alonardo on Electric Ladies podcast
Read Joan’s Forbes articles here.
You’ll also want to listen to (some of these are under the name Green Connections Radio):
- Bridget Hughes, Donnelly Financial Systems on maximizing ESG Software
- Suzanne DiBianca, Salesforce, Chief Impact Officer, on ESG Tracking
- Kristina Wyatt, Persefoni SVP, former lead on SEC’s climate risk disclosure rules development team
- Joan Michelson on Eisner Amper’s “Fast Forward” podcast about “Why ESG Matters.
- Kristen Sullivan, Deloitte Sustainability Practice lead, on the transformation and ESG
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive our podcasts, blog, events and special coaching offers..
Thanks for subscribing on Apple Podcasts or iHeartRadio and leaving us a review!
Follow us on Twitter @joanmichelson and @electricgalspod