“How do we deal with dilemmas? How do we think unthinkable? You know, the climate, ESG, human rights issues, diversity, equity, inclusion, supply chain issues, cyber security, integrity of data, incentive plans, all of those, the future of good corporate governance, transparency, anti-corruption. All of those different issues that have been there for a long, long time, but been kind of like voluntary more and less, and suddenly they are really coming at the top of the agenda for the board of directors.” Helle Jorgenson on Electric Ladies Podcast
When there’s a scandal or a huge failure at a big company or a famous one – like the collapse of FTX Crypto Exchange – you hear questions like, “where was the board of directors?” So, what is the role of the Board and how are environment, social and governance issues, including climate, diversity and covid, changing who is on them and why?
Listen to Helle Jorgenson, CEO and Founder of Competent Boards training programs for board members, and people who want to sit on boards, in this episode of Electric Ladies podcast in this valuable conversation with Electric Ladies host Joan Michelson. They specialize in training on ESG issues. (Full disclosure, Joan is now on the Competent Boards ESG faculty.)
- What boards of directors actually do – and don’t do
- How covid, climate and the resurgence of social justice movements are transforming boards, from who sits on them to what they do.
- How, when and why boards focus on ESG issues.
- How much they serve customers vs. serving investors.
- How to prepare to be a successful board member.
- Plus, insightful career advice, such as what she offered below….
And much more!
“If you look five years out, 10 years out, what is it that you want to look back at and say, Yes, I was part of this, or, or I did this…There’s a ton of roles and…if you look at these 17 biggest pain points in the world (the 17 sustainable development goals)…and saying, Okay, where is it that I can make a difference? …I want to educate myself in this, so I can go out and help organizations, perhaps even the organization that you are working in right now.” Helle Jorgenson on Electric Ladies podcast
Read Joan’s Forbes articles here, including Joan’s article related to this interview here.
You’ll also want to listen to (some of these are under the name Green Connections Radio):
- Kristina Wyatt, SVP of Persefoni and former leader of the SEC task force developing the climate risk disclosure rules that will be finalized shortly.
- Karen Alonardo, formerly of NAVEX and Founder of CSRWare, on ESG reporting systems
- Bridget Hughes, Donnelly Financial Solutions, on ESG software and what to look for.
- Natalie Jaresko, former Finance Minister of Ukraine, on the hidden power of ESG
- Michele Wucker, thought leaders and author of “You Are What You Risk: The New Art & Science to Navigating an Uncertain World.”
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive our podcasts, blog, events and special coaching offers..
Thanks for subscribing on Apple Podcasts or iHeartRadio and leaving us a review!
Follow us on Twitter @joanmichelson and @electricgalspod